Jason Miller is the Senior Content Marketing Manager at LinkedIn, where he leads the global content marketing and social efforts for LinkedIn Marketing Solutions. He is also the author of the Amazon #1 Best Selling Book, Welcome to the Funnel.
In Welcome to the Funnel, and in life, Jason advocates for content marketing teams to be put together like rock bands, specifically KISS…
1. Paul Stanley (guitar) = Social Media.Entertaining, out there in front.
2. Gene Simmons (bass) = Content. Writing the bulk of the songs/content.
3. Peter Criss (drums) = SEO. Laying the beat/foundation for everything. He’s a part of the band, as an SEO person should be part of the marketing team, not off in a corner somewhere.
4. Ace Frehley (guitar) = Demand Gen. Pulling it all together.
5. Doc McGhee (band manager) = PR. PR and marketing need to work together to make sure they’re not mixing messages.
6. KISS Army (fans) = The community. Like Seth Godin says, if you don’t have somebody to consume your content, you don’t have anything.
Each person in the team has an individual role that comes together to create a beautiful final product. For KISS, it’s a record. For marketers, it’s “Big Rock” content, content that has high value and can be repurposed and “sliced and diced” over and over again.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
It won’t shock you to find that Jason wanted to be in a hair metal band when he grew up. He actually was a bass player in a hair metal band, but eventually gave it up. The metal lifestyle and college-going lifestyle weren’t meshing. The final straw was when a record company came to their show, saw the opening band, signed them, and left before Jason’s band went on. It all ended well though, as Jason says now, “I’ve never been happier with my career.”